Subject: Re: [boost] NuDB: A fast key/value insert-only database for SSD drives in C++11
From: Asbjørn (lordcrc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-28 16:58:48

On 28.03.2017 15:27, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
>> I think there is a point where handling difficult filesystems and
>> hardware is out of scope for this library.
>
> I agree. Just don't claim any guarantees about reliability or data
> safety and I'm totally happy. I would then advise that if you're not
> implementing durability, you might as well remove the inefficiency of
> keeping write journals etc and use a design which goes even faster.

Isn't the point here that NuDB's guarantees depend on the OS, filesystem and
hardware? If the OS filesystem and hardware guarantees that fsync's won't be
reordered, then NuDB can guarantee that it is durable (modulo any
misunderstanding on my part).

If so, why throw it all away? Maybe the user has an OS, a filesystem and some
hardware which can guarantee this?

Regards
- Asbjørn