Subject: Re: [boost] NuDB: A fast key/value insert-only database for SSD drives in C++11
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-30 13:56:00

> barrier in the OS/filesystem and in the hard-drive. Niall has been
> particularly harsh on fsync, but I do not think its all bad. With the
> exception of OSX, it seems that many filesystems implement it properly
> (might regret saying this), and a user can purchase an "enterprise"
> hard-drive that is not trying to artificial boost benchmarks stats. At
> the very least the number of assumptions has been decreased.

For a general purpose collection of libraries such as Boost, you can't
be imposing things like users have to use specific hardware X.

It is not particularly hard, nor performance killing, to design a fast
key value store which has no reliance on fsync, trunc nor O_SYNC.

A correctly designed library ready for Boost would therefore have no
reliance on fsync, trunc or OS_SYNC for correct operation.

That's what we need to aim for. Libraries useful across a wide set of
hardware and configurations.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting