Subject: Re: [boost] [simd] Hardware support
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-08 13:49:50

> I personally have severe concerns about all aspects of intellectual
> property surrounding that library and the people behind it.
> For example, when I did a talk about Boost.SIMD at a conference using
> nothing but open-source material, my employer received a cease-and-desist
> letter and was asked to destroy all material related to Boost.SIMD as
> NumScale claimed it was their property. My employer complied to be on the
> safe side.
>
> I believe that during the review we should definitely take into account how
> the existence of the two versions of the software can be harmful to users.

Eh, sorry, are you saying that anybody who uses Boost.SIMD may receive a
cease and desist legal order from the people behind its commercial
edition? Because if so, I think the SFF of which Boost is a part would
say that means that library cannot enter Boost due to being of uncertain
legal providence.

I mean, a while back with Hana, there was a storm in a teacup over the
fact it was named after a product by a well known multinational. That
was worrying over nothing (trademarks in different domains do not
conflict), but somebody actively suing users of a potential Boost
library is a real concern.

Also, if SIMD enters Boost and then someone adds features to it like
support for ARM, will they get sued for stealing IP from the commercial
edition? Because even if they demonstrably could not have stolen the IP,
it's the legal costs of proving you didn't do anything wrong which can
be ruinous.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting