Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome] High level summary of review feedback accepted so far
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-31 12:43:58

On 31/05/2017 00:43, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:
> On 31/05/2017 01:18, Niall Douglas wrote:
>> The current behaviour is "always throw on observing empty". That's what
>> makes empty special (and it traps unintentional propagation of empty).
>
> That makes sense when empty is always "you forgot to return a value".
> However you've said yourself that sometimes you've hijacked it as an
> intentional return of no value (as in optional<T>), and that's where
> things get murkier.

You do realise there is nothing stopping a person using the valued state
to return an error, the errored state to return a value, and the
excepted state to return a type erased smart pointer?

Empty state is no different.

>>> - exception() returns nullptr if holding value or error or empty
>>
>> The current behaviour is to return null exception_ptr if valued (so
>> if(eptr) would be false i.e. "no exception here"),
>> std::make_exception_ptr(std::system_error(error())) if errored, throw on
>> empty.
>>
>> So an errored state is also an excepted state, but an excepted state is
>> never an errored state. has_exception() returns true for either errored
>> or excepted states.
>>
>> std::make_exception_ptr(std::system_error(error())) is fairly cheap, a
>> few thousand CPU cycles. std::exception_ptr's are heavy anyway.
>
> I can understand that, but I'm not sure I can entirely agree with it. As
> previously mentioned an error_code return is supposed to indicate a
> non-exceptional error, while an exception is exceptional. So this feels
> like promoting a non-serious error to a serious error.

Sure. But this semantic also means that errors don't get accidentally
lost if the programmer checks for an exception without checking for an
error. I figured that to be a safer default.

> Having said that, it's not a deal-breaker; both behaviours make sense in
> their own way, and that behaviour could be convenient in some cases.
>
> Although... should it actually throw on empty or just return an
> exception_ptr containing an exception that indicates it was unexpectedly
> empty? The only place you should be using outcome<> rather than
> result<> is inside noexcept methods, so throwing is fairly serious.

In my own code to date my majority usage of outcome<> is in throwing
code. I use it to "collect" try...catch islands, outside of the island
writing exception safe code becomes considerably easier.

I made empty the odd man out, so it always throws, consistently.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting