Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome] To variant, or not to variant?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-02 21:54:08

On 02/06/2017 15:59, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 6/2/17 3:09 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
>>
>> There is one big difference with std::optional and std::variant - their
>> design is now **the standard**, for better or for worse.
>
>> All new code written henceforth ought to be designed around the C++
>> standard in my book, with hacks/workarounds as appropriate where the
>> standard object falls short.
>
> Ahhhh - I argued in a different thread that we should pay less attention
> to the C++ standard.

I'm not talking about future standards. I'm talking about the existing ones.

Ok, you can argue C++ 17 and its std::variant isn't standard *quite*
just yet, but I can guarantee you that std::variant will not be changing
in the C++ 17 standard (apart from defects).

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting