Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-17 01:45:24

On 6/16/17 4:44 PM, David Sankel via Boost wrote:

I was going to make an more elaborate counter proposal here but got
carried away on another thread an included it there.

Why don't you cut down your proposal to something simpler and actually
doable. What would you think of the following:

Proposal:

a) Permit Boost Library authors to sprinkle CMakeList.txt files
whereever they want in the directories of their own libraries.

b) Create a directory in boost-root/tools/.... where CMake enthusiasts
can put their macros and any other needed stuff of their choosing.

This would yield the following benefits.

a) This should be enough for any library author to implement CMake
support for his library.

b) it's non-intrusive. It would not conflict with anything currently in
boost.

c) it would permit "Boost/CMake" to evolve at it's own pace without
causing havoc among any innocent victims.

d) This would be very simple to do - I don't know that it even requires
any decision by anyone at all. I've included CMakeList.txt files in the
serialization library for years and no one has objected. I think you
should just encourage library authors to do this. You might offer to
help them if you want by providing useful macros, a working FindBoost,
documentation with suggestions and instructions. I made the Boost
Library Incubator with large sections of advice for aspiring boost
library authors. I didn't recommend Bjam support as it's not needed for
review (and I actually don't like bjam). I recommended CMake and spend
a good amount of text explaining it in the context of making a boost
like library. I learned that a) CMake isn't nearly as good as people
think it is and b) It can be made to work. If you want to improve and
maintain that section, I would be very, very pleased to hand it over to you.

Just to summarize:

a) Encourge library authors to include CMakeLists.txt file in their
directories. If some committee wants to complain about it, we'll deal
with it then.

b) Create helpful information for library authors that want to do this.
I've got a good place for you to do it.

Sit back and watch your idea catch fire

Robert Ramey