Subject: Re: [boost] proposal - modularize Boost build system
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-19 14:22:49

On 19.06.2017 09:32, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> You did mention in your OP:
>
> 5) Invoke a command to install it
>
> 6) Invoke a command to package it (optional)
>
> Maybe you need to be more specific about what you mean in each case.
> It sure sounds to me, by the 2 items above, as if you meant to suggest
> that you could distribute an individual Boost library ( and its
> dependencies ) separately from the current monolithic Boost tree.

I did indeed.

> If so, I am suggesting that without a very well worked out versioning
> system for individual Boost libraries such a plan will end up with
> serious problems for the end-user.

Distributing boost libraries separately doesn't imply that I don't
respect Boost's releases or version numbers. Packaging and releasing are
orthogonal concepts.
See for example https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/boost and
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libboost1.55-dev. Fedora and Debian
are two popular Linux distributions, and they do of course provide
separate Boost packages.

But given the lack of guidelines (or infrastructure) to package Boost
components (which includes not just libraries, but also tools to build
them and their documentation), they differ...

    Stefan