Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Nowide (Unicode)
From: Yakov Galka (ybungalobill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-20 17:47:59

Dear all,

Here is my review of the library.

- What is your evaluation of the design?

I welcome the UTF-8 approach on Window. However, the fact that Nowide does
not handle invalid UTF-16 transparently is an issue that has to be
addressed.

- What is your evaluation of the implementation?

Going through the code I can't spot any implementation issues.

It's clear. No issues found.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

I already use this approach through a different implementation. Even though
I wouldn't bring Boost just for that single library, for projects that
already use Boost it might be a valuable addition.

I do think that Nowide offers a superior solution to encoding issues
compared to Boost.Filesystem.

> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any
> problems?

I did try it years ago when it was first submitted to Boost. I didn't try
the recent version, so NO.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
> reading? In-depth study?

30 minutes reading the code + mailing list discussions.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

I rate myself as an expert. I'm a co-author of utf8everywhere.org.

DISCLAIMER: I met Artyom a couple times IRL.

> - Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library? Be
> sure to say this explicitly so that your other comments don't obscure
> your overall opinion.

Conditional acceptance, subject to transparent invalid UTF-16 resolution.

--
Yakov Galka
http://stannum.co.il/