Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Build and Microsoft C2 clang
From: Tom Westerhout (kot.tom97_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-27 13:08:41

On 27/06/2017, Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> The plain -fuse-ld=link.exe kind of works now (it didn't before.) There
>> are other problems however, exceptions are off for some reason.
>
> using clang : 14.1 :
> "C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual
> Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/ClangC2/14.10.25903/bin/HostX86/clang.exe" :
> <cxxflags>-fexceptions
> <linkflags>-fuse-ld=link.exe ;
>
> kind of works. This cannot be considered a serious toolset though. Why not
> use the LLVM Clang instead?

Why not? It's just a different front-end, isn't it?

In my case, MSVC doesn't handle constexpr correctly, but Clang does. But
optimisation and code generation are still done by the C2, right? So I can
test now how good MSVC would be able to optimise my code rather than
waiting for the bug to be fixed. I.e. this gives me the ability to
optimise my code now while I don't have much code yet and can refactor
things easily.

Tom