Subject: Re: [boost] Encoding address-model in library names
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-05 22:20:51

Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> But while there has been a time when it was common to run 32-bit and
> 64-bit applications on the same machine, I believe this use-case is in
> sharp decline, as 64-bit platforms are now the norm (and wherever 32-bit
> apps are run, it's the only choice).

100% of Windows 64 users run both 32 and 64 applications on the same
machine.

But this doesn't matter. Having 32 and 64 bit static libraries in the same
directory is not in any way connected with whether one runs 32 bit and 64
bit applications on the same machine, even if we posit that this is rare,
which it's not.

Similarly, users don't run debug and release versions of our software at the
same time, yet we encode debug/release in the library name and allow both
variants in the same directory.

It's as simple as this, in Visual Studio you have one dropdown for
Debug/Release, another for 32/64, and you reasonably expect both to be
equally well supported.