Subject: Re: [boost] Error handling libraries and proposals
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-10 17:44:43

On 10/07/2017 18:07, Emil Dotchevski via Boost wrote:
> Last week it was brought to my attention that there are currently 5
> different libraries and proposals for dealing with the problem of reporting
> errors from noexcept functions, so I thought it would be useful to update
> the Noexcept documentation with a short section comparing all the different
> designs: https://zajo.github.io/boost-noexcept/#alternatives.

Some notes on Outcome v2 related to your now out of date comparison:

* result and outcome can now be error type customised, same as all the
other libraries. For example, outcome<void, void, void> is legal, though
unusable.

* result and outcome are struct-like, some of the others are variant-like.

* I have compiled out by default an implementation of P0252 as well, but
it can be reenabled if I decide it's wise later.

Your table would be better if it listed the items in the headers rather
than by number, but for Outcome v2 the new values are:

yes, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes.

(v2 result is specifically designed to be C struct layout compatible)

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting