Subject: Re: [boost] Outcome v2
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-14 16:37:14

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Groke, Paul via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

Ah, now I get it, thanks for the explanation. There *might* even be a way
to get this to work even without memory allocation in the end (without
exception_ptr), but I think this is perhaps missing the point of returning
an error object, which is to be able to interact with it. Also, reasonably
if you could fit the things you need to create the object into a "small
object optimized" buffer, you can probably fit the object itself into the
same buffer. Noexcept already has that, it's the result<T> object, however
it might be too heavy to return up the call chain one level at a time (it
is instead designed for capturing the TLS-stored object to postpone its
handling, perhaps after moving it to another thread).