Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Florent Castelli (florent.castelli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-19 19:25:55

On 19/07/2017 21:01, Oliver Kowalke via Boost wrote:
> I looked at your Cmake file for a library I maintain - the boost.build
> links only against boost.thread if std::thread is not available (feature
> checks). I'm missing this feature in all Cmake files presented in this
> thread (dev/user ML). It seams that Cmake will always link against
> boost.thread.
>
> Beside this, other aspects in the Jamfile are not ported to Cmake too. I'm
> wondering why.

It's simple, it's not peer reviewed and the intent isn't always obvious
from looking at the Jamfile sometimes, I just know it works for my users
and solves their issues. This feature can certainly be done though!
Which library is it?

My goal is to make it work for users so they get access to Boost and
this is an optimization somehow. I would consider the linker not to use
the thread library if it's not required and thus a non problem.
Not all of the Jamfile has been ported to CMake too, only enough to make
it work. My users don't need the non-threaded version of Boost for
example and I didn't spent time on it, but it could be done.

In the future, any proposal should implement all the variants
(progressively, as needed) so I don't think this is representative, just
saying it can be done.

/Florent