Subject: Re: [boost] Switch to CMake -- Analysis
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-21 16:15:22

On 21.07.2017 12:03, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Does this process appeal to anyone ?
> It sounds reasonable in theory, but I think the first thing that
> should be addressed is the use-case where Users of Boost who have
> pre-built binaries are able to easily consume Boost in their projects
> with support from within Boost itself and not the FindBoost.cmake that
> comes with CMake which is perpetually behind the latest Boost version.

You are talking about a use-case involving a Boost *binary* package. How
is this related to how Boost is built, i.e. how such binaries are
produced ? It seems to me that to provide a tool that can discover
compiler flags needed to build with an existing Boost *binary*
installation is quite trivial to come up with, even if this requires
some additional metadata to be added to Boost installations.
(The really hard use-case, which I'd prefer to dismiss as impossible, is
to enable users to "consume" Boost *sources*, i.e. to integrate a Boost
build into a user's build process. While I'm not opposed to such an
idea, I don't want to have to support it explicitly.)

        Stefan