Subject: Re: [boost] [1.65.0] Point release?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-26 17:02:34

Daniel James wrote:

> We could use a more complicated branching scheme to merge the changes back
> into the main branches.

My old suggestion was (still is) that we could use a dedicated 'release'
superproject branch for the releases, avoiding the need to freeze master.
When starting a release, the release manager would `git merge master` into
`release`, then potentially cherry-pick "update foo" master commits as
needed (the bot would need to be changed to not compress more than one
change into a single commit.)

The same `release` branch would then be used for the point release in the
same manner - cherry-pick commits to superproject `master`.

When I first suggested it, the problem point was that the testers would have
to test `release` as well which would either waste time (as it would seldom
change) or require a smarter infrastructure that doesn't re-test the branch
unless it changes.

But we don't rely that much on the testers nowadays, so this would be less
of an issue.