Subject: Re: [boost] Purchasing Travis Resources for boostorg (was Re: [1.65.0] Point release?)
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-27 16:09:29

On 27 August 2017 at 16:20, Vinnie Falco via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Daniel James via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Pull requests are tested on boostorg.
>
> 1. Authors can do pull requests against develop and master in their own forks

Here's a pull request I created:

https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/709

I created it from a fork. Click on the little green tick:

https://travis-ci.org/boostorg/beast/builds/259865444?utm_source=github_status&utm_medium=notification

It was tested on boostorg.

We need a central place for people to create pull requests - they
can't be expected to track down the correct account for individual
repos.

> 2. If no one worked in topical branches directly in boostorg repos,
> there would be much more CI bandwidth available for third party pull
> requests made against boostorg repos

Most developers want to integrate their changes into develop
regularly. That way their changes get shared amongst other developers,
and enter into the testing system, so problems on more obscure
platforms get found earlier, and problems that the changes cause other
libraries can be detected. It also means more of the historical test
results appear in the boostorg repo.

For what it's worth, I do all of my development on branches in forks,
but we also have to work with the boostorg organisation as a
collaborative location. We already have enough problems tracking
changes in different libraries, making it harder is a bad idea.