Subject: Re: [boost] Why is the boost documentation so bad?
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-08 11:25:57

> but I got to grep the source code to find out I need to include #include
<boost/ptr_container/ptr_inserter.hpp> to get the back_inserter.
Documentation was not helpful there.

Well, boost is free software, maintained by a dedicated and much
under-celebrated community of heroes.

In my view it has single-handedly rescued c++ from oblivion and is the
breeding ground for all ideas that eventually go into the standard as
language improvements.

If the documentation is not helpful, it is up to us, the grateful users of
boost, to offer an improvement by submitting a commit, or at least a bug
report to a maintainer.

Otherwise we're just being leaches.

For me, I could not have completed my many programs without:

boost.log,
boost.asio,
boost.algorithm,
boost.msm,
boost.variant,
boost.shared_ptr (before it was in c++),
boost.serialization,
boost.thread (ditto),
boost.regex (ditto),

It's also the only 3rd party library I have used which has given me no
problems (apart from that one time when clang and apple clan diverged over
the keyword thread_local) - even that was fixed in the next release.

The existence of boost has literally saved me writing, testing and fixing
hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

>From me, thank you to everyone who has contributed to boost. You are the
internet's finest.