Subject: Re: [boost] Boost CMake update
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-30 04:33:20

On 9/29/17 10:02 AM, paul via Boost wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I have been working at converting more of boost tests to cmake utilizing
> the BCM library, here:
>
> https://github.com/boost-cmake/boost/tree/1.64
>
> This is a build of Boost 1.64, with a majority of the tests integrated. There
> is still much more work needed to update the tests, as there are some that
> still fail. Also, some of the libraries were skipped due to missing headers in
> the 1.64 tag. You can check the library yourself by running cmake:
>
> cd build
> mkdir build
> cmake ..
> cmake --build . --target check
>
> This will build all the tests. You can check the tests for one target with:

Looking at the serialization library test because I'm familiar with it I
see things like:

serialization_archive_test(test_forward_list A)

while in the CMakeLists.txt file I see

[ test-bsl-run_files test_forward_list_ptrs : A : : [ requires
cxx11_hdr_forward_list ] ] # BOOST_NO_CXX11_HDR_FORWARD_LIST

In otherwords, the CMake version will run tests which cannot pass.

> cmake --build . --target check-boost_core
>
> Which will run the tests for just `boost_core`.
>
> This was all generated using scripts in https://github.com/pfultz2/boost-cmake

Where is the document which describes how to uses these scripts?

> I plan to update this to a newer version of boost. If anyone has fixes or
> changes they can send a PR or issue on either repos, and I will try to
> incorporate them in.

I think it's a waste of time trying to apply this to all of boost until
one has demonstrated that the system actually works on test cases. That
is what we're really going to review here is a library of CMake macros
and these need to testable/demonstrably correct independent of any
particular libraries.

To put it another way:

a) Develop and test the system

If that passes and is accepted