Subject: Re: [boost] Boost CMake update
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-04 16:01:40

paul wrote:

> Of course, adding the version doesn't prevent the scenario you mention.
> They could just reinstall a whole new version of boost 1.65 and the
> libraries that were built against boost 1.64 would be broken.

I'm talking about Boost libraries here, not theirs. Boost library X 1.64.0
is built against Boost library Y 1.64.0. You update Y to 1.65.0, X is now
broken.

> If you change your dependencies, you would most likely change the library
> that depend on those as well.

You should, but if you don't, nobody will tell you. That's the point of
requesting a specific dependency version - if you forget to update the other
libraries, you get an error.

> Even if they didn't rebuild, it doesn't always mean it would lead to an
> ODR violation, as the change could only affect some assert macros that are
> not used in the definition.

Yeah, sure, it's often asymptomatic. That's half of the fun. And of course
boost_assert here is an example. I'm not talking about boost_assert
specifically.