Subject: Re: [boost] Asciidoc, an alternative for documentation
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-07 19:59:01

On 10/7/2017 12:25 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 10/6/17 8:12 PM, Steven Watanabe via Boost wrote:
>
>>> If we can get it working, it'll be a whole new age of "easy" for writing
>>> docs for complex C++ codebases,
>>
>>    Er, I've always considered the hard part of documentation
>> to be the organization and content rather than specific tools.
>
> So, so, so, true.  I huge problem these days is that the attractive
> presentation of documentation gives the impression that documentation is
> well done.  It's very, very misleading.  It's a plague.  I have a lot to
> say about this very phenomenon in my recent presentation at cppcon 2017.
> Hopefully the video will be available shortly.  I wasn't totally happy
> with my presentation, testimony to how difficult is to capture the
> problem and address it.
>
> There have been a few recent boost library submissions which have
> suffered in this area to the extent I believe they may have turned a
> possible acceptance to a rejection.  In one case I believe that a
> previously rejected library was accepted and a large part of that change
> of assessment was due to much improved documentation.
>
> So, contrary to what one might think, I do believe we are making some
> progress in this area.

The major problem with library docs is always that programmers become
too lazy to explain what the various things are that library actually
does and what the constructs are to achieve each of those various
things. Instead, for too many programmers, library documentation is 99%
examples and a reference, the latter being nothing more than a listing
of constructs which can be used, with no explanation of when or why one
might want to use them. That's it for an awful lot of developers ! And
as long as programmers in general consider that as adequate
documentation, library developers will continue to follow that model.
Even when you point out to programmers that such documentation is
inadequate for end-users who actually want to use your library, the
usual response is just bafflement that the end-user doesn't "get it".

I understand that programmers do not want to write documentation, but
want to create really nifty and useful libraries and programming
constructs. I understand that many developers are not native English
speakers and find it quite onerous to write documentation in a secondary
language which they can almost never know as well as their own primary
language. I sympathize with both these problems. But unless docs can
explain to end-users what is useful about a library and how that
usefulness translates to the constructs of that library, library
documentation will not be adequate for a great many intelligent
programmers.

I feel like an old dinosaur writing this. The current age of computer
programming expects so little of documentation that I am probably
already obsolete in my documentation needs. But I hope programmers will
try to understand that the most brilliant library is useless if it
cannot be understood or, conversely, if understanding it takes such an
inordinate amount of end-user's time that he just gives up in trying to
use the library.

I think very little of this has to do with tools per se. I am certainly
for the best tools which anyone finds easy and adequate to use. Rather
this problem has to deal with the approach to documentation as a means
to explain what one offers as library functionality.