Subject: Re: [boost] Recommend dropping test coverage on msvc-7.1 and msvc-8.0
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-14 12:29:21

On 14 October 2017 at 14:41, James E. King, III via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> ... but it looks like we should consider dropping msvc-7.1 and msvc-8.0.
> These are very old compilers for Windows development.

Although I understand my opinion is not even worth 2 Cents and feel like
Cato The Elder must have felt, I'll put them [2 Cents] in anyway.

I think Boost should only support MSVC-versions, that are supported by
Microsoft. Unsupported versions have un-supported c-run-time-libraries and
are hencefort a danger for the planet.

It would also start to simplify things a bit (probably a lot) going forward
as we are expecting MSVC to be fully compliant (including the preprocessor
(good news Edward!)) bar bugs, somewhere in the first half of 2018.

Just to conclude: "Carthago delenda est".

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798