Subject: Re: [boost] Recommend dropping test coverage on msvc-7.1 and msvc-8.0
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-14 18:19:22

On 10/14/2017 11:52 AM, degski via Boost wrote:
> On 14 October 2017 at 18:05, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> Microsoft has "promised" to fix their broken preprocessor so many times,
>> without actually doing so, that one more "promise" means nothing.
>>

> Lighten up! Get a good BIB in SB,

BIB in SB ?

BMRMSPOTATIAAALUAAHCB.

( Believe me regarding MS promises of this and that I am about as
"lightened" up as a human could be. )

> enjoy and forget about the past. MS is
> not just bug-fixing, they are re-arranging the deck-chairs (C++17,
> re-writing the PP and 1 -> 2-phase lookup a.o.), it's said to be done by
> (they said before) mid 2018 (they never said stuff like that before, mind
> you)...

Wowie, zowie, ain't we lucky, but I am not holding my breath about it.

Getting back to seriousness and the OP, I think it has always been
fairly well understood that a particular Boost library can drop support
for older, unsupported compilers if it deems that appropriate, but that
it should usually deprecate that change first in one release before it
goes ahead and does it in the subsequent release. This is no different
in how it is usually handled than any other potentially code-breaking
change within a Boost library.