Subject: Re: [boost] Recommend dropping test coverage on msvc-7.1 and msvc-8.0
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-16 21:35:29

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Ion Gaztañaga via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 16/10/2017 22:34, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:

>>> Toolset name can be defined in user-config.jam so msvc-7 is not a generic
>>> solucion
>>>

>> But this isn't a generic problem. You want to not run tests for specific
>> toolsets that *testers* run. Hence using the toolset name that testers
>> some
>> times specify seems good enough to me :-)
>>

> I disagree. I want my library or tests not to be built for any toolset
> that is really MSVC 7.1, I don't want to know every name every tester uses
> to filter it out (runner or local testing). I understand that I would start
> checking _MSC_VER macros or using predef, but I guess Boost.Build already
> knows the version of the toolset, so it might be interesting to use it.

I see.. Different story then :-)

> , I define in my local regression tests toolsets named like gcc-7.1c++03,
>>> gcc-7.1c++14... Maybe an additional feature could be added to filter
>>> toolset version with some comparison operator. Just CC'ing Rene in case
>>> it's a good idea for future developments.
>>>

>> You can already do that.. If you write your own conditional rule and have
>> whatever comparison you want.
>>

> And how can access to the version of the toolset? the toolset property is
> the name the user has chosen, the real version of the compiler could not be
> there, a user can choose gcc-myfavouriteversion as the toolset name. Or am
> I missing something?

Indeed that is a problem with the current version number. And indeed right
now there's no way to get the real version number of the compiler as
detected by b2. Although for msvc the version number are fixed and you
can't alter them like you can for gcc toolset. I.e. it's always going to be
"msvc-7.1". So I created an issue for adding that <
https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/253>.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything