Subject: Re: [boost] Adapting boost::grid_graph vertex descriptors to Boost Geometry
From: Brook Milligan (brook_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-30 01:00:26

> On Oct 29, 2017, at 3:26 PM, Seth via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Am I right in thinking you arlready have a working Proof Of Concept? Or
> are your trying to decide on the design up front?

I have verified that including boost/geometry/geometries/adapted/boost_array.hpp allows boost grid_graph vertex descriptors (which are implemented with boost array) to be, for example, constructed and manipulated as boost geometry points.

Adding this to boost (my suggestion was to do so in boost/geometry/geometries/adapted/grid_graph.hpp) would make it a supported (if optional) abstraction. I feel that is a valuable enhancement, because otherwise there is no way to construct a perfectly meaningful vertex descriptor from the coordinates of the point it corresponds to without breaking the normal abstraction of vertex descriptors.

> FWIW, if simple graph visualization is the only goal, using neato with
> BGL's write_graphviz can do a "decent" ad-hoc rendering
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37608482/how-to-display-grid-graph-using-boost/37609992#37609992
> (though Graphviz should support multi-dimensional layouts technically, I
> haven't tried with more than 2 dimensions)

This has nothing to do with visualization.

Cheers,
Brook