Subject: Re: [boost] Announcement: Faber, a new build system based on bjam
From: Domen Vrankar (domen.vrankar_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-03 13:48:02

> On 03.12.2017 05:02, Domen Vrankar wrote:
>

> How about you add ...
>

> How about you contribute patches ?

As long as it doesn't start bothering me with popping all over the place I
don't care enough about it to contribute to it. From where I stand I'd at
the moment be glad if it wouldn't even exist. It doesn't solve any of my
problems but adds to them instead so why would I bother with it any more
than to either convince you to stop ignoring the existing solution or
convince others to forget about it and make it sink?

> Faber is years too late to not inter operate with CMake and expect people
> not to care about that.
>

> I think you misunderstand something fundamental about the dynamics of Open
> Source projects. People who care will certainly get involved and give this
> project a direction they deem useful. Just complaining and throwing around
> advice doesn't have that effect.

I understand the dynamics behind open source and know that most things I
hear about are hyped far before they are useful. But after the hype is gone
they either fall into the forgotten basket or they did something right.
CMake evolved, reinvented itself and so on so it survived and prospered, b2
didn't adapt, didn't become popular and is now slowly going down the drain.

For Faber I hope that it either burns before it becomes my problem or
succeeds enough that investing in learning it and making patches for it
would be feasible. As it currently stands it's just something that could
give me head ache in the future so I don't see a reason to contribute in
order for it to succeed.

If I were the author of something like Faber I'd either keep it as my hobby
project and never bother announcing on a high traffic mailing list or I'd
try to make it work nicely with current big players but it's always the
authors choice where the project is going and contributors choice if he
cares enough to invest coding time.

Regards,
Domen