Subject: Re: [boost] Interest for a Fixed Point Arithmetics library
From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-03 20:31:28

> Is this proposal stalled? I vaguely remember a fixed-point> proposal but I don't remember the details.
In my opinion, the proposal was halted on purpose,or not forced to continue might be a better way ofputting it...
There were several reasons.
1) There was some, but not much, interest in the review.2) There is a slight conflict between the proposedboost::Fixed_point and the work of C++ standards groups,Mr. Macfarlane and SG14. In the Boost proposal,bound arithmetic is the default (unbound not supported).Whereas in the proposal for the standard, unboundarithmetic is the default, but both bound and unboundare supported.3) The work for Boost only supports 1 fixed-point type(similar to negatable). But the standards work supports4 types used for both signed and unsigned manipulationof both fractional and integral representations.
4) The work for Boost only supports 2 rounding modes.But the standards work supports 5.5) A few other details.

At the time, it was difficult for us to overcomethe slight discrepancies in these two bodies ofwork, in particular number 2 above.
The work for Boost is, nonetheless, available.It is tested and documented, but onlyfor what it does.

Best regards, Chris

    On Sunday, December 31, 2017, 5:14:06 PM GMT+1, Andrey Semashev via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

 On December 31, 2017 6:50:01 PM "Paul A. Bristow via Boost"
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

I'm interested in a fast compile-time configured fixed-point type as I had
to write one for one project.