Subject: Re: [boost] [date_time] building documentation?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-12 19:13:28

AMDG

On 01/12/2018 11:41 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Steven Watanabe wrote:
>> user-config.jam:
>> using boostbook ;
>> using doxygen ;
>>
>>   Whoever generates the documentation has to have this, because quite
>> a lot of documentation Jamfiles won't work without it.  I consider
>> this a bug, but many documentation Jamfiles were written before
>> initializing tools in both user-config.jam and the Jamfile worked
>> correctly, so they require user-config.jam to do all the setup.
>
> I've always thought that it's bad practice to have `using` in Jamfiles
> rather than `import`. Either one could be made to work, I suppose, and
> we seem to have tools supporting either idiom; we probably need to pick
> one and make it official in some way.

  I prefer using, and I've been adjusting tools to work with it.
If a tool works with import in a Jamfile, it's fairly trivial
to make using work as well, but the converse is not true.
There are a couple of problems with import:
- using always calls import first, but we'd really like to
  skip default configuration if the user gave us explicit options.
  Setting up a default and then replacing it is possible, but
  has some technical difficulties when configuration needs to
  do some kind of global registration (e.g. /zlib//zlib has
  to add targets to the /zlib project every time you call using).
- Jamfiles occasionally need to pass arguments to tool
  initialization, which import cannot handle.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe