Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc18][ublas] Proposal to add advanced matrix operations
From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-23 13:53:13

> On 22. Jan 2018, at 22:50, Marcin Copik via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've done a lot of linear algebra benchmarking in the last couple of months
> and I believe there are three high-performance C++ linear algebra
> libraries: Eigen, already mentioned by Hans, Armadillo, and Blaze. Blaze
> developers present several benchmarks on their website:
> https://bitbucket.org/blaze-lib/blaze/wiki/Benchmarks <https://bitbucket.org/blaze-lib/blaze/wiki/Benchmarks>

It looks like whoever makes the benchmarks wins ;)

Since Eigen3 does much worse in these benchmarks, I wonder whether the comparison is fair. I cannot imagine a good reason why Eigen is much faster than uBlas in their own benchmarks and much slower than uBlas in the benchmarks shown by Blaze.

Best regards,
Hans