Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Positive feature macros, r2
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-26 18:03:36

> Of course if we decide to follow Peter's suggestion and make the
> change, it is, as always, who is going to do the work. It would be
> ridiculous to lay this all on John. I am volunteering to help if
> needed, and I imagine Peter would also, so it would be a matter of
> finding those people with the time to make this happen if we decided
> to do it.

I think that since this is effectively Config.v2 we're talking about
here, and since I have absolutely no time for this anyway, then if it's
decided that this is the way forward, it would be better if the
maintenance baton were handed on to someone else at this point: BTW this
is absolutely not me "chucking my toys out of the pram", just a
realistic assessment that I have neither time nor much inclination for
this at this time.  I would obviously try and provide constructive
criticism / help as I can.  I'm also frankly amazed that the design has
worked as well as it has for so long - there's an awful lot of hard one
knowledge encoded in the Config headers, and I hope that can be retained.

BTW, if we're looking at a redesign, and potentially a lot of churn in
client code, I think I'd like to see at least a mini-review before any
change:  Boost.Config is so central to everything and the effects of
substantive change potentially so damaging if we get wrong, that some
extra-special caution is required in this particular case IMO.

Best, John.

---
http://www.avg.com