Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Outcome v2 (Fri-19-Jan to Sun-28-Jan, 2018)
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-04 17:46:10

On 02/04/18 01:53, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:

> *locally*. Indeed, that's the whole point of the Expected proposal, and
> WG21 has greenlit that one. It's coming to future C++ whether you like
> it or not (bar some major surprise).

This is an important point. The std::expected proposal is a vocabulary
type that has not gathered much practical experience prior to being
proposed for standardization, unlike other vocabulary types like
std::optional, std::any, and std::variant. Boost.Outcome gives us
an opportunity to gather such practical experience, which can then
serve as input to the standardization process.

If our community goals includes being an incubator for some C++ library
proposals, then we should not evaluate Boost candidate libraries
strictly on the merit of whether or not I personally can use this
library for my own projects.