Subject: Re: [boost] Yap's formal review is starting now!
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-08 21:17:11

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 6:33 PM, Robert via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 2/5/2018 9:53 AM, Louis Dionne via Boost wrote:
>
>> Dear Boost community,
>>
>> The formal review of Zach Laine's Yap library starts Monday, February 5th
>> and
>> ends on Wednesday, February 14th.
>>
>> Yap is a C++14-and-later library to build expression templates. Yap uses
>> new features introduced in C++14/17 to make the library simpler to use and
>> compile faster than existing solutions, such as the well known Boost.Proto
>> library. The documentation is available here:
>>
>> https://tzlaine.github.io/yap/doc/html/index.html
>>

> Hello Everyone,
>
> My question is on the compiler support instead of a review. On
> https://tzlaine.github.io/yap/doc/html/boost_yap__proposed_/
> compiler_support.html, it states that MSVC does not support YAP. With
> the ongoing improvements to support C++17 in the Visual Studio 2017 branch,
> have the weekly to bi-weekly updates positively affected using cl.exe
> 19.12.25834 and newer (e.g. Visual Studio 2017, 15.5.4)?

The compiler limitations for Yap are exactly those for Hana. Yap uses Hana
extensively, and MSVC (last I heard) cannot handle Hana. I've also heard
from Louis that the MSVC team is making great strides there. I don't have
terribly up-to-date info I'm afraid.

Zach