Subject: Re: [boost] [RFC] unique_val (handles, IDs, descriptors...)
From: Miguel Ojeda (miguel.ojeda.sandonis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-15 11:28:44

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:18 PM, Miguel Ojeda via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> If you have the time, please take a look (specially to the Rationale)
>> and let me know your comments. The code itself is very short and
>> straightforward.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I didn't look yet at the implementation but I can confirm I had to
> implement similar tools
> for different projects in different organisations.
>
> It seems useful, though it also seems to be similar (and conflict with
> goals of) p0052's unique_resource type.
> See: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0052r6.pdf

Thank you!

Please see the answer above to Andrzej. It is indeed similar, although
I am not sure if entirely overlapping. I would say unique_resource
seems like a more specific tool, while unique_val is a low-level
primitive.

> Did you consider providing an implementation of this proposal instead?

I didn't know about the proposal -- but indeed it is interesting to
have an implementation for pre-C++20 users (assuming it will be in
C++20).

Cheers,
Miguel