Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] Status of cmake support.
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-24 22:41:59

On 24.02.2018 17:25, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 2/23/18 3:53 PM, mike via Boost wrote:
>
>> Thank you both for the update and explanation. I hope you find a
>> review manager soon. And I hope the lib doesn't get rejected just
>> because some authors want to block transition to cmake altogether.
>
> It will also ensure that everyone gets a say. Hopefully the employment
> of the review processes will result in general acceptance of the
> result/decision regardless of what it turns out to be.

As one of the more vocal opponents to the announced "move", allow me to
comment.

I think there is a real danger that two distinct questions get conflated:

a) a technical review of infrastructure to build Boost libraries with CMake.

b) whether and how individual library developers / maintainers can be
mandated to use any particular tooling (be it to build, to document, to
bug-track, etc., etc.)

It's true, a successful completion of a) makes it more likely for the
code to be accepted by the community. But neither should a positive
review result in a mandatory use by all libraries, nor should a review
be biased based on the perceived danger of having to migrate if the
review is completed successfully.

Stefan