Subject: Re: [boost] Clang on Windows
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-09 19:32:44

AMDG

On 03/09/2018 11:42 AM, John Maddock via Boost wrote:

> On 09/03/2018 16:16, Egor Pugin via Boost wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Based on recent news:
>> Clang 6.0.0 is out with very decent support of the latest MSVC STL
>> (15.6).
>> Chrome is built with clang on Windows.
>>
>> So, maybe it is good time to include clang+windows into list of
>> supported configs, setup a CI worker with clang (clang-cl) on Windows?
>> Currently many boost libs already work fine, but some of them require
>> small tweaks like explicit BOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H etc.
>
> A cursory check suggests the compiler is working OK and builds
> Boost.Config's tests, but I'm unable to get it working at all with
> Boost.Build, I'm trying:
>
> using clang-win : : "C:/Program Files/LLVM/bin/clang-cl.exe" :
> <compatibility>vc14.1 ;

  The clang-win toolset is known to be broken. I don't
know if it ever worked. I believe that clang-linux
(using regular clang, not clang-cl) works for most
platforms other than OSX. (Yes, I know, cleaning up
this mess is on my todo list.)

> In my user-config.jam - note that the <compatibility> option appears to
> be required, and there is not default, likewise the semi-documented
> option <compatibility>native gets rejected as invalid.
>
> In any case this leads to:
>
>  $ ../../../b2 config_info clang-win
> C:\cygwin64\home\John\user-config.jam:47: Unescaped special character in
> argument <cxxflags>-std:c++latest
> ..\..\..\libs\log\build\Jamfile.v2:45: Unescaped special character in
> argument <define>$(flag)=1
> M:/data/boost/boost/tools/build/src/tools\msvc.jam:900: in
> set-setup-command
> *** argument error
> * rule virtual-target.from-file ( file : file-loc : project )
> * called with: (  : /M:/data/boost/boost/libs/config/test :
> object(project-target)@129 )
> * missing argument file
> <snip>
>
> The unescaped character warnings are new to current develop Boost.Build,

  They're harmless for now, but will break
at some unspecified time in the future, when
I switch to the new lexer.

> and the rest is inscrutable to me, any ideas anyone?

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe