Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC 2018] A Few Questions about Boost.uBLAS
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-19 11:44:57

On 19.03.2018 00:11, philectron via Boost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in working on *Boost.uBLAS* library. *I've fundamentally
> finished the Programming Competency Test for this project. I'm currently
> improving it.* I need more information on the following:
>
> *1.* Can multiple people who also apply for GSoC work on this same project?

Note that you are only referring to "Boost.uBLAS" as a whole. As you'll
see on
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Boost-Google-Summer-of-Code-2018,
there are actually multiple project proposals for this library. Also,
note that these are mere proposals. There is no reason to restrict
yourself to those. Feel free to suggest your own. (In fact, taking the
initiative to reframe things according to your own expertise and
interest demonstrates your ability to work autonomously, which is very
valuable.)

> *2.* How will I submit my Programming Competency Test?

I suggest you create a (temporary) github repo for it and then us (the
potential mentors) the link to it.

> *3.* Has anyone taken this project already?

There are a few submissions for the Boost.uBLAS library, yes. None are
formally "taken" though. They are all in development, and will further
evolve till the deadline.

> *4.* If 3 = yes, do you allow multiple people working on the same project
> for GSoC 2018?

See my answer to 1). I have no idea how many slots Google will give to
Boost, and accordingly, how many slots an individual library (such as
Boost.uBLAS) will get.

> *5.* If 5 = no, what project should I work on? I have never used or worked
> with Boost Library before, so I don't know what in Boost Library needs to be
> improved. What project do you think would be feasible for
>
> Thank you!

That's very hard to say without knowing a bit more about your
programming experience and your interests.
I suggest you put together a little "resume" of your education and
programming background, then pick one of the competency tests above,
just to get started. Then we can iterate over that and see whether there
is a possible match.

Regards,

Stefan