Subject: Re: [boost] Build breaking changes
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-29 00:49:26

On 03/29/18 02:52, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:
> On 29/03/2018 10:47, Andrey Semashev wrote:
>> Maybe we should just change the default to address-model=64. Really,
>> 32-bit x86 is long long outdated.
>
> While 64-bit OSes are the norm (and on Linux this also applies to
> applications that are built from source, which is most of them), on
> Windows and outside of spaces that require large amounts of memory (such
> as games and graphics) it is still more common to have 32-bit apps than
> 64-bit ones.

Most of applications have 32 and 64-bit variants, unless they stuck in
the 90's. Defaulting nowdays to 32 bits is simply unreasonable. If
someone wants to target an outdated architecture (and 32-bit x86 really
is a separate architecture, including hardware features and software
ABI) then let them do that with a little more effort. The rest of the
world have moved to 64 bits long ago, and that is what we should target
by default, IMO.