Subject: Re: [boost] Debate until Decision
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-29 16:18:17

On 29 March 2018 at 16:32, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 29.03.2018 09:29, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:
>
>> Look at the cmake discussion, or the CI build job discussion, or the
>> current address-model discussion. These need to be finished, agreed to,
>> and implemented (or not), and everyone moves forward.
>
> As I tried to illustrate (for example by using the Little Prince as
> metaphor), there are problems that are ill-conceived to be solvable in
> this manner, where it's simply impossible to get everyone to agree. This
> is not a matter of process (arguments, voting, rule), but reflects that
> the Boost organization as a whole may have grown too big and too
> heterogeneous to move as a single entity, at least with respect to
> certain questions. And since you are mentioning the ASF...
>
>> The Apache Software Foundation maintains a fairly well documented structure
>> for each project, with a project management committee consisting of a chair
>> and members who have equal voting rights, however said group's primary
>> function is to identify and grow the team of developers who have commit
>> privileges. The committers as a whole vote on issues that are
>> project-wide, like "should we split into multiple repositories", or "should
>> we move to another source code control environment"?
>
> here is some text from its website
> (https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html):
>
> "
> In order to reduce friction and allow for diversity to emerge, rather
> than forcing a monoculture from the top, the projects are designated the
> central decision-making organizations of the Apache world. Each project
> is delegated authority over development of its software, and is given a
> great deal of latitude in designing its own technical charter and its
> own governing rules.
> "

There is one additional detail that is important to understand this model

https://www.apache.org/foundation/

"
Individual Apache projects are in turn governed directly by
Project Management Committees (PMC) made up of individuals
who have shown merit and leadership within those projects.
"

IMHO, modularisation of Boost eco-system should be followed by
agreement to establish such PMC or PSC (Project Steering Committee).

Actually, the CMT may be seen as a forerunner for such initiative.

> b) delegated responsibilities
> [...]

Could be taken over by each PSC.

Best regards,