Subject: [boost] [interprocess] Enhancment for Boost.Interprocess on Windows
From: Aliaksandr Zaitsau (zamazan4ik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-23 14:38:12

Hello,

My colleague at work suggests an enchancement for Boost.Interprocess for
detecting unique boot on Windows.

Currently in Boost.Interprocess we have 3 implementations:

1. Using COM. It is marked as incorrect in case of hibernation.

2. Current default implementation using system events log is incorrect
since lots of computers will not have expected event in system event log.

3. There is some new for me implementation using reading Windows
registry. It is disabled by default.

Question 1

What Windows versions are expected to be supported by current library
version? What about Windows XP? Earlier Windows?

Question 2

What is the status of third implementation via registry?

Question 3

It seems strange for him third implementation needs 2 registry values
for creating unique id. First of them looks enough for this purpose. And
another one may be not present on some Windows. Who may he speak to get
technical details why this implementation looks like this?

He has an idea how to implement unique boot id better than first and
second implementations.

He tried to email Ion Gaztanaga directly, but without any responce. Is
it good idea to create PR on GitHub before getting any details from Ion?

Best regards,

Alexander Zaitsev