Subject: Re: [boost] [Algorithm] contains(v, 1)
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-06-02 19:29:06

On 6/2/18 2:04 AM, mike via Boost wrote:
> Hi
>
> If the argument "can't you write it yourself" is a valid reason not to
> put something in a library then that explains, why c++ is so complicated
> to use and teach.

My point exactly !

> Seriously though: Even for simple things like this, the usual advantages of
> using a library apply (although maybe to a lesser degree):

To me, the advantages of including something like this in the standard
library out weigh the disadvantages.
> - They are (usually) being tested by more people and in case of boost
> are also most likely of better quality than my own (corner cases, performance ... )
> - They reduce the amount of code in my own project (fewer things to test,
> fewer things to refactor, fewer things to code review ...)
> - They are easier to reuse in different projects

I don't dispute the above. But in cases like this, these advantages
don't out weigh the costs:

- just looking for the component in the library is not free.
- another dependency
- verifying that the library component is actually the same as the one
one needs. This requires study of the documentation (if there is any).
- adding one more component to the standard, means that the whole
standard libary is larger. So searching cost of through it, avoiding
conflicts, etc. increases even for users which don't use this component.

Does the invention of the "salad shooter" make the world a better place
when it already has the kitchen knife?

Robert Ramey