Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Serialization] Crash in current master (1.68)
From: Robert (r.firl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-02 16:54:24

On 7/2/2018 10:53 AM, degski via Boost wrote:
> On 2 July 2018 at 18:39, Robert via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> This will be strictly on Windows with both Microsoft 15.6.4 ...
>

> With the current level of flux in VC development, you really should
> consider upgrading to 15.7.4 (unless the 6 is a typo and should read 7), or
> better, move to 15.8 Preview 3 (that's the advice STL gave me in another
> issue).

I would love to, but am intentionally delaying for work reasons. Some
of the team have updated to 15.7.4. Because of my using the older
Microsoft version, it takes only a few minutes to track down the root
cause of a recent issue.

This may not be known to news group members here. But, the Windows
Intel C++ compiler is heavily dependent on the Microsoft supplied
standard library header files (e.g. from 2015:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/596318).
Similarly, in a Mac oriented post, there is a dependency on the gcc
header files (e.g. from 2013:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/366102).

I have already submitted an issue with Intel that the Visual Studio
15.7.4 headers cause Intel 18.0, Update 3 to produce thousands of
spurious errors on the std::variant. The 15.6.4 std::variant version
does not cause the invalid error output from Intel. Plus, only the 19.0
Intel C++ is planned to address the problem(s).

--Robert