Subject: Re: [boost] Release notes piling up
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-07-05 02:08:28

On 07/04/18 18:42, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
> On 4 July 2018 at 19:14, James E. King III via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> There are 12 PRs for updating the documentation (they are going to have
>> merge conflicts)... who is managing that for this release cycle?
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pulls
> Handling conflicts and merging is a simple task.
> I think, it's more of an issue there are no reviews from reviewers
> with write access that would confirm acceptance of the PRs
> and can "count towards mergeability".

What "reviews" do we expect for release notes ? Don't we trust that
library authors know best what release notes they want to submit ? (I'm
of course assuming that submitted release notes are signed off by
library authors / maintainers.)
> The release notes are easy to approve really.

I wouldn't expect the review to be the issue, but merely the
(mechanical) work of merging these PRs (including resolving conflicts,
should they happen).
> But, for instance this one, even if it seems to be based on extensive
> discussion on the list, still not clear if it is generally approved or not
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/300
> Should there be voting or at least PSC action taken?

That one isn't a release note, so I wouldn't even count in this context.

(In my dream world, release notes would be collected per library, and
the Boost website would only aggregate or syndicate them, so we wouldn't
even have to have this discussion...)

Stefan