Subject: Re: [boost] [all] Request for out of the box visibility support
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-18 18:39:07

On 8/18/18 10:46 AM, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> You used the phrase "dynamically loaded shared libraries". Did you just
> mean "shared libraries" as opposed to "static libraries" ? Whether a
> shared library is dynamically loaded or statically loaded it is still a
> shared library. My point is that visibility is not affected by whether a
> shared library is dynamically loaded or statically loaded.

To me, all shared libraries can be considered dynamically loaded. If
not done explicitly they are loaded "automatically" at start up or
perhaps on first use. The situation gets very interesting when they
have static variables in them.

There's a lot going on here. Then there are issues related to contracts
and modules. And when one shared library refers to another. etc. ...

Robert Ramey