Subject: Re: [boost] ABI issues with -std
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-20 14:02:12

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 16:50, Olaf van der Spek via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > degski wrote:
> >
> >> as no-one in his right mind would compile one bit with C++03 and another
> >> bit with C++17 (if you're compiling all from source).
> >

> > Unfortunately, that's exactly what people do, build Boost with the
> default
> > "b2 install" and then use it from C++17.
> >
> > Admittedly, our build instructions don't mention the cxxstd=17 option.
>
> Documentation is not a solution. ;)
>
> Would it make sense to default to the highest available level?

The documentation should just say that compilers and std levels should
match. In a way we have inadvertently wandered into unexplored territory
(mainly because this problem never arose before). There is another gray
area, which was touched upon on the list here, which I think should also be
discussed more, and that's Robert's problem of linking static and dynamic
libs into the same app.

degski

--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*