Subject: Re: [boost] [all] Request for out of the box visibility support
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-21 08:21:40

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 10:50, Olaf van der Spek <ml_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > A "normal" Windows machine only has the dynamic CRT, a
>
> That CRT isn't there by default is it?

Maybe we are having a different interpretation of what I meant with
"normal" in this context. With "normal", I mean the man in the street's
windows, a non development machine. It comes with the dll's of dynamic CRT
(i.e. without the link stubs) that was used to build that windows version,
otherwise it couldn't work. Then there is something called SxS, this allows
for various dynamic CRT's to co-exist on the machine. This is necessary iff
one wants to run apps that were built with CRT's that are different from
the one that came with the system. Yes, if you mean this with "is not
installed", you are right, as an app distributor you'll have to make sure
somehow (by asking the user to install it, or by downloading and installing
it on the fly or by including it in your installer and install it) the
target machine has the required run-time.

> That's the (only?) reason one opts for the static CRT.

Yes, that takes away that bother. Additionally, this allows for a
"portable" installation. I have little utility I still use once in a while,
it's statically built in 1995, it still works very well, and obviously much
faster then when is was released originally :-).

degski

--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*