Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-27 15:17:24

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 10:56 AM Mike Dev wrote:
> Currently, many libraries are committed to support c++03, meaning they won't just
> start to use c++11 features [unconditionally] without prior announcement and some transition phase.
> After officially dropping c++03 support (with prior announcement and appropriate
> transition phase), whether a library happens to still compile with c++03 or not
> becomes an implementation detail that might or might not change with every new revision.

Do you have an example of a Boost library author or maintainer that
has refused (either a pull request, or a other feature request) to
leverage C++11+ features (after detecting them with Boost.Config, of
course) to provide some more optimal implementation in their library,
or provide a new feature their library?

There are Boost libraries are committed to supporting C++03, but they
also leverage C++11, C++14, C++17 features when available, because
this is what those particular library authors/maintainers are happy to
do. (Myself included: I would not refuse to take advantage of a C++17
feature for C++17 users, while still supporting C++11 for C++11
users).

Glen