Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-28 07:07:58

> There is a significant difference between "we've never tried it on XX
> and so we don't support it", and "it used to support XX and now doesn't".
>
> You are trying to cite cases of the former but it is actually the
> latter.  Without further explicit clarification, that invariably means
> "we have decided to start doing things that do not work in XX", ie.
> that people can definitely no longer use XX.
Those cases are the almost the same. It means "we *may or will* start
doing things that do not work in XX". As Boost consists of multiple,
almost independent libraries (different maintainers), it means that
those libs will be C++03 incompatible at different times. But generally
for Boost devs it means: No more C++03 tests required. That reduces
headaches etc and old (pre C++11) code can be replaced by modern one
(auto, range-based for, constexpr...)
So you can say: "We no longer test C++03 and at some point it will be
impossible to be used"