Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Mike Dev (mike.dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-28 10:29:06

Personally, I don't think this makes it any more difficult for the user to
understand what is going on. The announcement could be something like

"Starting from version XX we no longer support c++03"

And the documentation of any library in XX that is willing to make
the switch could state something like

"We no longer support compilation in c++03 mode".

Irrespective of whether a particular library can still be compiled in c++03
mode in a particular version, I don't see how this can be interpreted any
differently than

"I shouldn't rely on XX working in my c++03 project anymore"

which is exactly, what it is supposed to mean. Nothing more, nothing less.

In any case, what "further clarification" would you like to see?
I mean, so far, there is neither the text for the announcement, nor
for the documentation of XX.
If there is general agreement that all this is a good Idea (and at the
moment I'm not sure there is), we can certainly start bike shedding over
the exact wording of both.

> Besides, even if in the short term immediately following that
> announcement, no library changes are made which actually break
> compatibility; it still seems like there is no point in making such an
> announcement unless the goal is to indeed break compatibility.
> Pretending otherwise is silly.

Just to be clear here: I do hope and expect that at least some libraries
will start to use c++11 feature unconditionally as soon as the switch is
made in 2020 (or at least 1-2 releases after that). If there isn't at
least some interest from the side of the affected maintainers, my
suggestion will certainly not be accepted anyway (i.e. not generate
the necessary momentum be implemented).
Now, due to the tight coupling between the libraries (in particular the
older c++03 compatible ones) this will effectively make a lot of other
libraries c++11 too.

However, as no one can or should force a library maintainer to use c++11
code in his library, all I'm trying to achieve here is to lower the bar
for the unconditional introduction of c++11 as much as possible for the
authors that want to do this.

In particular, the obstacles I try to address here are

- concern for "breaking" users - in particular fellow boost libraries
  in c++03 mode.
- The necessary transition period between "yes, I would like to make
  this change (which would require c++11)" and when it can actually
  be implemented