Subject: Re: [boost] Let's stop distributing binaries
From: Richard (legalize_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-29 21:16:57

In article <0499fe61-4113-95f1-c56c-d5778b0b0fa2_at_[hidden]>,
    Robert Ramey via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 8/29/18 9:14 AM, Cem Bassoy via Boost wrote:
> > I like Edwards proposal. However, not all Boost users are C++ experts,
> > especially those who want to use 'higher-level' boost libraries such as
> > GIL. Comparing Boost's installation processes with Qt's one, many users do
> > not want to be concerned with cloning/compiling/linking issues.
>
> Any boost library should be straight forward to build if it's not header
> only.

Agreed, but bjam/jam/whatever is an impediment here. Boost is the
only thing I've ever encountered that used this. CMake is the most
widely used build environment now for C/C++ and the sooner we move to
replacing bjam/jam/whatever with CMake, the sooner all this build
suffering ends.

> If we're distributing something that is problematic to build & test, we
> have a problem. Let's fix that!

It's been that way for... what, a decade? I have only seen signs of
hope more recently that the boost organizing committee decided to
bless CMake as the direction to go.

            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>