Subject: Re: [boost] Builds from boost/status fail early?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-27 21:45:20

AMDG

On 10/27/2018 03:05 PM, James E. King III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 4:53 PM Steven Watanabe via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> I find it both amazing and scary that Boost.Build has an interactive
> debugger.
> In any case, if you use the docker container in the pull request in
> boostorg/boost
> you would probably be able to reproduce this because it pulls in
> dependencies
> of many of the repositories. For example the docker container is using
> Python 3.6.
>
> (might I suggest aliasing "bt" for "backtrace" in the Boost.Build debugger?)

That's reasonable, but I'd actually like to
match gdb's command alias/abbreviations
systematically rather than adding individual
aliases on an ad-hoc basis.

> ```
> <snip>
> #10 in class_at_main-target.generate ( object(property-set)@73156 ) at
> /boost/tools/build/src/build/targets.jam:784
> <snip>
> ```
>
> so:
> ```
> (b2db) print [ object(typed-target)@73156.location ]
> (builtin):1: in errors.error
> ERROR: rule "object(typed-target)@73156.location" unknown in module
> "errors".

Well, that shows a clear deficiency in the debugger.
@73156 is a property-set (hence the error) and the
id of the object that you need is not shown anywhere.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe