Subject: Re: [boost] [parameter] Go C++11 and above only, or keep C++03 support?
From: Nikita Kniazev (nok.raven_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-11-03 17:34:56

The major problem is that Boost does not see its users; most of them do not
read mail lists and changelogs, even documentation is read only during
active development and by developers who actually touches boost namespace.
To library maintainers they usually appear only when something is
completely broken and we cannot blame anyone about it, but it makes nearly
impossible to gather any statistics. The other point is that Boost is free
and users may decide not to raise their voice because it can look like they
try to dictate investment priorities of others spare time.
If Boost really wants to survey C++03 users it can be most effectively done
in the code by showing them a message with a conditional pragma #error
“Boost wants to hear your voice. It is time to revise the minimal
requirements. Please give us feedback about your preferences at <url> or
mail list. To continue #define BOOST_I_ACKNOWLEDGE_EMERGING_CXX03_DEATH” in
some libraries or globally in Boost.Config headers. It is not too late to
make this for 1.69.